4.04.2019

Poetry Prompt - Our Home Was a Single Cloud

I have never lived in a high rise or even a multi-story apartment building, but this is what I came up with based on the prompt. Started in my writing group a few weeks back, edited during today's lunch break.


Our Home Was a Single Cloud
A Poem By Ann H. Vinciguerra



Pushing into the stratosphere. Apartments and persons stacked

"So many people in one small space," my mother groaned

"City life, Ma." What more could I tell her

How could I explain we were one?
One front door. One mailroom. One laundry area

Proximity bought us together. A bad landlord drew us closer
Share walls. Shared battles

Fight the developer
Have a building holiday party
Create a garden in the courtyard

Steel and concrete arms of the edifice create a sarcophagus


Wrapped around its residents like a quilt of coziness

Connection. Comfort. Home.

We were living in a cloud








No comments:

Post a Comment