10.27.2019

The Sky was Magic


Here's a post from last March. I discovered
Bozeman backcountry skiing
Some days just sparkle
  it the drafts folder - somehow I never got around to posting it. A quick story about a stunning ski in one of my favorite go-to locations last March.


It’s 20 degrees out as I arrive at trailhead, about 25 degrees warmer than it was when I was here one week ago. Snow falls from the sky, fine and feathery yet crystal like at the same time. Icy sand-size crystals sting my face, death mist is what a friend calls it. I put one foot in front of the other listening to the rhythmic slap of my skis as I work my way up the gentle meadow. 

The gray sky is covered with thin cloud-like curtain, and I can barely make out the denim ski behind it. I move higher up the mountain as the valley floor falls behind me. Before the gauzy surface can lift, the sky becomes soupy. Dense fog turns the landscape to a monochrome canvas of black, white, and gray. The only splash of color is from the evergreen trees but they look dull as they stand stoic heaving with snow.

Bozeman backcountry skiing
Go-to spot, Bozeman, Montana
At the top clouds persist. Piles of them hang in the air creating intricate layers of big, puffy white pillows along with a few dark patches.

Sit, sip, eat. Skins off, goggles on. I begin my descent and soon blue skies emerge sharing the skyline with white puffs of clouds. The sky is showing off its many personalities today. This familiar landscapes I’ve skied tons of times before is in its prime today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment