3.22.2020

Writing Prompt: Shortcuts

As I worked my way through middle school and high school in Randolph, New Jersey, teachers and coaches repeatedly reminded me not to take short cuts.

"Don't cut corners," Mr. Potrovitz said as we ran monotonous circles around the track in P.E. class.

"And no Cliff Notes," Mrs. Ross chided when she assigned yet another hunkin' tome.

"If you don't do all of them you're only cheating yourself," my gymnastics coach Ed said as we pounded out sit ups and leg lifts and balance beam routines.

So I spent my teenage years doing the reps, reading the full book, not cutting the corners. I was too afraid to find out what would happen if I took the shortcut. While around me people took shortcuts all of the time and used their newfound time to have all of the fun I was missing out on.

To this day I'm a rule-follower, but sometimes I want to try taking a shortcut just to see what would happen.

~
Fiction inspired by Randolph, NJ: http://annvinciguerra.blogspot.com/2020/01/a-taste-of-rebellion.html

No comments:

Post a Comment