|Ladder of Kotor as seen from across the bay.|
The season began in mid-May in Montenegro and ended on October 11. All told, we spent 16 days and nine nights backpacking. Our trips are as follows:
- Montenegro - 3 days/2 nights - This was a great three days. We walked from point to point and had the chance to explore the mountains and small town's of Montenegro's coast mountains. From the moment we left the Bay of Kotor until we arrived in Brajici three days later, it was spectacular.
Looking down on the bay of Kotor from the top of Lovcen
- Yellowstone, Black Canyon - 2 days/1 night- A June trip after we got back from Montenegro. The trail's lower elevation and sunny aspects made it free of snow early in the season but be warned that these conditions make certain parts of of the trail popular with rattlesnakes. Back Canyon is a long but easy thru-hike with mostly wide open landscapes, stunning river vistas, signs of wildlife and lucky for us, few people.
- Yellowstone, Sky Rim Trail - 3 days/2 nights - Great trip. Read about it here.
Approaching Big Horn Peak Our camp as seen from the trail to Sheep Mountain
- Bacon Rind Creek - 2 days/1 night- The A-Team reunites for a backpacking trip! Amy joined us for this one.
- Hollow Top - 2 days/1 night
- Beartooth Mountains, Aero Lake & Wilse Peak - 2 days/1 night - Amy joined us again and dragged Rob Knapp along. Really perfect weather all weekend - clear skies, little wind for most of the trip, and no rain until the last mile or so of hiking. Weather like this is a rarity in the Beartooths, especially in September, so we were really lucky.
- Beehive Basin - 2 days/1 night - Our last night out. It was a warm but windy walk in with rain and colder temperatures overnight and the next morning. I had Mike snap the photo below and to the right so we could compare it to the photo on the left, which was taken during a overnight ski trip in April 2013.