10.13.2018

Writing Prompt: Describe a Moment of Awakening

Today's exercise...

When I first bent over backwards and lowered my raised arms to the ground behind me, I became me. My older cousin, who was taking gymnastics lessons, taught me a backbend and was impressed I did it on my first try.

"See if you can kick your legs over," she squealed with delight.

Try as I might, my little legs could not complete the circle. Undeterred, I went home and practiced, practiced, practiced. Apparently obsessively as all my mother heard was the muffled thump, thump, thump of my tiny feet as I tried to propel my body shaped like a circle back to the standing position.

That was it. I was immediately enrolled in a gymnastics class and discovered a me that no one had met before. One that could bend, fold, swing, and flip. With endless enthusiasm, I became wrapped up in gymnastics class, then the team, and then competitions.

At the time, I didn't know it this was me. I had no knowledge of who I was or the fact that you could even have a sense of self, of being "into"something.

~

You read the beginning of the story. Now here's the ending: 



No comments:

Post a Comment