9.30.2017

Exploring an Under-the-Radar Gem: Laramie, Wyoming



Mimicking the Cliched Travel Article


One good writing exercise is the imitation exercise: find an article in a magazine and mimic its style on a different topic. Recently, I came across a city profile in a popular travel magazine and decided to use it as the starting point for my essay. The author of the original piece works in the restaurant industry and is a judge on one of television's well-known cooking programs. The article didn't provide too many concrete details nor did it make a compelling case to visit the city. But if you're a star in the culinary world I guess that gives you authority to write in a well-distributed publication, even if you don't say a whole lot.

As I read over what I wrote, I will say I have succeed in mimicking the flowery language found in the original piece. I can't say I have created a journalistic masterpiece, but it was a fun and easy exercise. At some point, I will rewrite this story with more concrete detail and less travel-writing fluff.
~

If towns were celestial bodies, my current home of Bozeman, Mont. and previous home of Jackson Hole, Wyo. are the stars. With their trendy eateries and upscale boutiques, they shine brightly and radiate with charm.

Other locations, such as my graduate school stomping ground of Laramie, Wyo., are part of the galaxy taking their place in the background. At first glance, Laramie appears to be another mid-size western town, but up closer inspection the adventurous traveler will find a pleasing destination with all of the amenities and none of the hype.

With the excitement surrounding the Great American Eclipse of 2017, it was little wonder I was thinking in heavenly metaphors as I made the trip to Wyoming for the spectacle. I spent time in Laramie before the eclipse and was eager to become reacquainted with the place that saw me through graduate school and opened my Northeastern eyes to the Western living.

Nicknamed the Gem City, Laramie is a place where old West character, college town vibrancy, and a rugged mountain lifestyle collide. Home to University of Wyoming, Laramie is big enough to feel dynamic yet small enough to remain cozy. Its compact downtown is filled with lively restaurants and pubs, public art, and colorful characters.

Laramie hasn’t percolated to the top of many people’s must-see lists, but it is possible that one day it could. Lively, low-key and an easy two-hour drive from Denver, it remains an under-the-radar treasure, and for now, that’s exactly the way I like it.

~

1) A stop at the Laramie Farmers’ Market (http://www.laramiefarmersmarket.com/) marked the start of my visit. Two blocks of downtown were blocked off and it seemed like the whole town was there to sample live music, food from mobile vendors, and produce and crafts from local and regional farmers and artisans. I enjoyed a glass of exquisitely tart fresh-squeezed lemonade before heading up and over the train tracks and on to the Laramie Greenbelt. This six mile paved path along the Laramie River offers habitat for animals, birds, and fish. It was a perfect place to stretch my legs after the long drive and pass some time before meeting up with friends.

2) As it was during graduate school, the Buckhorn Bar (https://www.facebook.com/TheBuckhornBar) remained the place for a pre-dinner aperitif. The Buck, as it is affectingly know by locals, is the same as it ever was with stuffed animal heads on the walls and its famed bullet hole in the mirror above the bar. A diversity of folks filled the Buck and a polished country band played in the back room.


3) The Alibi Pub was the place for dinner and as I walked over, I admired the  Laramie Mural Project. (http://www.laramiemuralproject.org/) A town-and-gown partnership between the University of Wyoming Art Museum and the Laramie Main Street Alliance, local artists created large-scale artwork turning the sides of buildings and non-descript alleys into visual masterpieces.

4) Like many of us, the Alibi (http://www.alibipub.com/; pizzas, $10-$13) has grown up since graduation. The once rowdy college bar has transformed into a great place for homemade food, libations, and live music. Their backyard courtyard features fire pits, an elevated stage, and dance floor, but the highlight of this inviting space was the brick oven pizza truck serving tasty pies with ingredients grown in the Alibi’s vertical garden. There was a touch of sweetness to the pizza sauce and sauce-to-cheese ratio was exactly to my liking. While the pizza was great, but the crust was stellar. Made on site, it was perfectly thin yet slightly chewy. Heavenly.

5) The next morning I fueled up at Turtle Rock Coffee (http://turtlerockcoffee.com/) across from the University of Wyoming campus before heading on to the granite filled Snowy Range Mountains. In Turtle Rock’s pleasant courtyard, I savored cappuccino and a Funky Monkey, a waffle sandwich with peanut butter, Nuttella, banana, and bacon. At first this creation seemed a bit over-the-top, but the perky barista convinced me to give it a try. Sweet, salty, and hearty all at once, it provided ample fuel for my foray into the mountains.

6) I gathered ingredients for a picnic lunch at Big Hollow Food Co-op (http://www.laramiecoop.com/) headed up to the mountains. Medicine Bow Peak rises to 12,013 feet above sea level and can be ascended in a straightforward yet exhilarating 2.6 mile hike to the summit. Cobalt blue skies along with 360-degree views made it the perfect way to cap off my visit to the Gem City. I fell in love with Laramie all over again.

~

A post about biking in Laramie

No comments:

Post a Comment