11.21.2018

On (Not) Becoming a Travel Writer - A Poem


Dragon Bridge, Ljubljana
In my writing group the other night we did a poetry exercise, which lead to a whole evening of poetry writing. Collectively, we don't really know much about poetry, but we all agreed it was pretty free-form. With poetry fresh in my mind I wrote this poem during lunch today.




On (Not) Becoming a Travel Writer
A Poem by Ann H. Vinciguerra

I wanted to become a travel writer, so I headed to Ljubljana to become inspired

Try to capture the essence of a place they said
So I strolled fabled sun dappled streets
Filled with cobbled stones, stately squares, and statuesque statues

I walked along the river
Meandering as it meandered

I got lost in alleys that time forgot
But the really special people of this place helped me find my way

Cozy cellar bars shared passageways with boutique bistros
Libations at trendy clubs followed authentic home cooked meals

The lodging? Cozy
Love locks LjubljanaThe atmosphere? Romantic
Lovers announced their love on bridges with locks

Describes what makes a place special I’ve been told
There was a castle on a hill!
Dragons perched on splendid bridges!

Fabled and wondrous and precious

It was all so carefully curated
I easily found ten things you absolutely must-do on your trip to Ljubljana. I can’t wait to tell you about them

I was bombarded with the essence of it
It was love

Ljubljana was flawless
It had all of the right ingredients

Ljubljana is a mini Prague
Ljubljana is the Paris of the East
A Paradise in the Balkans
The European capital of (low-key and up-n-coming) cool

Upon arriving home I was eager to write about it, but when I tried to spill my words out onto the page, I was no longer sure I wanted to become a travel writer


1 comment:

  1. Nice satire on cliched travel writing. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete